Location: Tiverton, Ontario
End Date: Dec 31st, 2017 (Chance for extension)
• Provides technical evaluations and advice, solves problems and coordinates technical work as required, in a number of major work areas, in support of the commissioning, operation and maintenance of the facilities.
• Receives assignments from Supervisor as well as identifies potential problems and opportunities in assigned areas and/or systems in the facility.
• Assesses, evaluates and recommends initial disposition of the problems as requiring (1) further review and investigations, (2) abandonment of the problem as being the best alternative.
• Receives approval and discusses proposed solution, as required with other personnel; such as, Section Managers, Shift Supervisors, Atomic Energy of Canada Limited (AECL) and Head Office specialists, designers in Bruce Power or external to the Corporation.
• Prepares submission including cost justification or financial evaluation as appropriate; recommends adoption of the proposal and steps required to incorporate it. Submits these for approval or forwarding if necessary.
• Prepares as required and on receipt of authorization, detailed documentation of the proposal, such as equipment specifications, engineering calculations, installation, testing, operating and maintenance procedures and the like. Submits necessary documentation covering complete proposal for forwarding to responsible bodies for cost and installation approval if necessary. This includes Bruce Power, AECL, Ministry of Consumer and Corporate Relations, Atomic Energy Control Board (AECB), International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) or other external organizations.
• Discusses installation or implementation with persons concerned and ensures, where possible, that the installation is as was intended.
• Instructs staff as necessary through lecture, field training, operating procedure and the like.
• Keeps abreast of maintenance and operating problems and takes action to implement change as appropriate.
• Cooperates with other departments and organizations such as Canadian General Electric (CGE), Babcock & Wilcox Canada Limited (B&W), AECL, Bruce Power Technology (OHT) and others in arranging for tests and providing appropriate documentation as required.
• Keeps abreast of new developments in the field for use in incorporating same in department equipment or operation.
• Maintains and/or updates operating and other specified department/divisional procedures. Receives assignments relating to procedures from Supervisor or identifies potential problems and opportunities. Discusses these with operating personnel or others as required to ensure current practices are recognized in the procedure. Prepares new or revised procedures consistent with operating licenses, policies, principles, department standard practices, standing instructions, maximum safety of operation, minimal risk of damage or loss, optimum frequency of routines; efficient operation and the like. Submits for review and approval.
• Prepares reports to provide information and data in answer to external requests or for historical purposes. Initiates studies or investigations where opportunities for improvement are apparent. In some instances, these opportunities may be identified by the Supervisor. Collects, or arranges for collection, and analyzes data from past events or operations. Prepares reports, for distribution to various groups, outlining technical details of procedures, processes, results or conclusions and the roles played by various groups; such as, Bruce Power, AECL, or other external organizations. The foregoing may include delivery of presentations. Provides explanations and answers to questions received from recipients of reports.
• Reviews proposals received from internal or external sources related to assigned area. Discusses proposal with originator as necessary to suggest changes or revisions as appropriate. Recommends disposition of proposal to Supervisor in writing for review and forwarding to approval authority.
• Prepares or helps prepare specifications, for purchasing requisitions for material, services and equipment. Follows up with procurement and provides necessary technical services during field installation. Prepares recommendations for spare parts requirements for new equipment.
• Recommends research and development programs required to improve equipment, system or unit reliability or performance, chemical control, material performance, rates and the like. Follows up on such research and development work and help coordinate as required. Provides all necessary information and assistance to facilitate such programs.
• Participates in training programs to further own development and assists in the development of others. Attends lectures, do assignments and write examinations. Develops training material and gives lectures, sets and marks examinations and otherwise assists in training programs.
• May be required to gather and collate data for use in department budget preparation and to monitor variances to annual budget and submit to Supervisor for reporting purposes.
• On a periodic basis, supervises staff involved in the above activities by assigning and checking work and as required give instructions and direction.
• Performs other duties as required.
Education and Experience Requirements
• Completion of a 4 year University degree in Engineering
• A CEAB (Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board) graduate or a non-CEAB graduate with verified academic credentials
• An Ontario Professional Engineering designation is required (P. Eng.)
• A period of over six (6) years experience