18-103 - Environmental Advisor
Number of Vacancies: 1
Duration: 1 year
Develop, maintain, implement, monitor, and improve performance of the OPG Environmental Management System by developing, coordinating, supporting, and providing oversight on OPG environmental managed systems and programs. Provide expertise and support to the Generating Units and Functions in managing OPG’s environmental management programs and environmental performance; including interpretation and advice on legislation and policies, identifying and correcting environmental performance issues, assessing and reporting on environmental compliance and performance, establishing effective relationships with external and regulatory environmental agencies, and obtaining EA approvals and other approvals and permits.
1. Develop, maintain, implement, monitor, and improve performance of environmental managed systems and programs including but not limited to Waste Management, Contaminated Lands, Spills Management, Biodiversity, Certificates of Approvals, impacts on fish and endangered species, Emissions, and Ozone Depleting Substances.
2. Develop, maintain, and review environmental management governance and documentation.
3. Implement and manage the EMS programs at the Generating Units, and monitor and report on compliance and performance against the established EMS programs.
4. Provide expertise and support to the Generating Units and Functions in managing OPG’s environmental performance; including interpretation and advice on legislation and policies, identifying and correcting environmental performance issues, assessing and reporting on environmental compliance and performance, establishing effective relationships with external and regulatory environmental agencies and regulatory environmental agencies, and obtaining EA approvals and other approvals and permits.
5. Liaise and negotiate with local regulatory agencies (e.g. MOE, MNR, DFO, CNSC) to obtain and influence conditions of routine permits and approvals, regulations, and licenses.
6. Prepare, analyze, and interpret environmental compliance reports for regulatory agencies, and internal performance reports for Generating Unit and Function stakeholders; establish, maintain, and utilize environmental data and reporting systems.
7. Prepare key Environmental reports and communications to executive internal stakeholders such as the Board of Directors and Enterprise Leadership Team, and external audiences such as Government and the Public. Coordinate and manage content, input, and approvals of reports and communications.
8. Monitor the Generating Unit and Function’s environmental performance using performance and compliance data and metrics; utilize various performance assessment applications such as self-assessments, external reviews, non-conformance reporting, managerial oversight, and audits to identify and characterize environmental performance strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities. Report and advise on environmental problems and issues.
9. Conduct and coordinate technical and analytical studies on environmental issues and advise senior management and Generating Units and Functions on results.
10. Participate with other project team members, including consultants, in the preparation and implementation of project execution plans.
11. Define environmental training and awareness requirements for Generating Units and Functions and provide the interface with the Learning and Development organization to develop and deliver training.
12. Participate in key Generating Unit and Function meetings to provide the required Environmental related information and data to drive appropriate response to current and emerging environmental issues and champion improvement opportunities. Provide input into budgets and business plans.
13. Represent OPG on external committees dealing with environmental issues; manage positive relationships that enhance the image of OPG, and advocate and influence new and changes to external laws and regulations.
14. Represent OPG Environment on internal committees and manage positive relationships to enhance the success of corporate environmental initiatives.
15. Keep abreast of the latest developments in the field of specialty and environmental legislation. Make recommendations of studies or research as deemed appropriate to address environmental issues or improve environmental performance.
Education: Requires an engineering/science knowledge encompassing subject areas relevant to environmental performance of power generation development, operation, rehabilitation or modification programs. Requires strong analytical, interpersonal and communication skills to coordinate technical and analytical studies on environmental issues and provide advice on results.
This knowledge is considered to be normally acquired through the completion of a four-year University education in the appropriate field such as engineering, science, or by having the equivalent level of education.
Experience: Requires experience related to the environmental planning and approvals processes and in particular to OPG’s environmental management system, programs, and strategies. Requires related experience in the areas of environmental management performance to identify and resolve environmental issues and recommend improvements as appropriate. Requires coordinating involvement of the Generating Units and Functions in establishing metrics, developing targets, and ensuring appropriate response to current and emerging environmental issues and championing environmental performance improvement opportunities. Requires demonstrated experience in scoping, establishing and managing environmental systems. Requires demonstrated experience in scoping, managing, and executing environmental study programs. Requires demonstrated communication and interpersonal skills including team or committee effectiveness.
A period of over 6 years, up to and including 8 years is considered necessary to gain this experience.