JOINT VENTURE DEPUTY DIRECTOR
Opportunity: Our client is seeking a Deputy Project Director responsible for providing leadership in the successful executive of our clients Joint Venture efforts in the Refurbishment of Ontario Power Generation’s Darlington Nuclear Generating Station. This role would assume responsibility for Unit 3 planning and refurbishment, a scope of work of $800 million.
Reporting To: Joint Venture Director
Direct Reports: Several Project Directors, Project Managers, Construction Managers
Location: Darlington Generating Station
Working alongside the Joint Venture Director:
• Assist to develop an appropriate CANATOM organization that has the ability to execute major projects and work for the foreseeable future
• collaborating with clients and creating relationships between Owners and Contractors that are productive and Partnered
• Is one of the executive project stall and a key relationship with the client and works to build a range of effective relationships that allows for the most appropriate execution of the projects
• Support the Strategic Vision of CANATOM to develop a powerful competitive advantage in the nuclear industry but specifically for priority work in Canada
• Contributes to the strategic capabilities and advantages of the CANATOM member companies
• Manages the Unit 3 P&L and Understands the balance between schedule, cost, and safety and works to create effective outcomes for clients
• Works to assure that alignment between the member companies exist and is a powerful foundation for the effective functioning of the CANATOM Steering Committee
• Implement the CANATOM QA/QC Program that creates project execution and efficiency.
• Has a full and exhaustive understanding of the contract. Understands the issues created by the contract and is the key person responsible for guiding the CANATOM organization through various negotiations.
• Is responsible for creating the right flows of information and communication with key stakeholders and the owners for assigned scopes of work.
• Is a critical contributor and is integrated into the strategy and planning processes for the two-member companies.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills
• 20+ years of experience in managing major refurbishment or large scale Nuclear projects
• EPC experience
• Technical knowledge of construction methods, building systems and terminology
• Ability to read and understand construction drawings, blue prints and specifications
• Knowledge of laws governing construction contracts and contracting
• Significant experience and understanding of the Nuclear Industry and its approaches, including requirements of both Owners and Contractors
• Experience of working in a live nuclear environment
• Knowledge of and existing relationships within the nuclear sector
• Must be knowledgeable of INPO (Institute of Nuclear Power Operation) practices and principles and practice same
• Must have a full appreciation of the importance of Quality Assurance Programs and their significance to the nuclear industry
• A person who is known and respected in Nuclear is valued
• High level of executive management exposure which will include having built, managed and sustained a high performing business to deliver profitable growth
• A strong business and technical mix is required in order to understand and influence key internal and external stakeholders
• Has significant experience working with Senior Executive Leadership and developing critical productive relationships.
• Experience managing and working in a large joint venture, desired
• Substantial experience in building functional Joint Ventures that effectively execute work would be an asset.
• Experience working for a Nuclear Generating Station in an Operations capacity, desired
• Experience in a key role in Utility Nuclear Leadership is valued.
• Experience as a Nuclear Operator is important to the execution of the project from the standpoint of the various phases of the project.
• Specific experience with OPG or current CEO would be an asset
• Commitment to Safety
• Interpersonal Savvy
• Stakeholder Management
• Problem Solving
• Integrity and Trust
• Customer Focus
• Presence, Gravitas and Credibility
• Team Player, Shares Knowledge
• Developed Strategic Skills
• Sound Judgment - Political, Behavioral
• Outstanding Communicator (ability to engage at all levels)
Education: Engineering degree or equivalent experience.
Compensation: The appropriate candidate will be offered competitive compensation, benefits, housing allowance, relocation and other provisions common in international assignments.