Senior Java Developer
Liberty Village, Toronto
The Senior Developer will be responsible for the implementation, testing and maintenance of the API layer of a catalog of SOA web services that exposes business functionality in a centralized, secure, standardized and re-usable way for external and internal clients. The candidate will also work with Struts 2, Spring and develop functionality for STARSS which is an internal Call Center application.
• Communicate to various lines of business at all levels of organization
• Anticipate and resolve technical problems while instituting best practices and disciplines for software development
• Work with business analysts and project managers to prepare functional and design specifications
• Model system behaviors using best practice methods for communicating architecture and design
• Document system components and related interfaces
• Adhere to coding standards and follow high level standards across all levels of design work.
• Must be able to provide feedback on proposed design solutions and include accurate level of effort estimates.
• Interpret, understand and explain system-level diagrams and designs
• Ensure timely and accurate delivery of design/coding assignments
• Address performance issues, ensuring high scalability of all applications as well as support of high traffic volume
• Be cognizant of performance requirements in an effort to ensure that all applications are highly scalable and can support high volumes of traffic
• Comprehend compliance issues; demonstrate familiarity with securing web-based applications
• Recommend/promote new technologies and best practices
• Recommend new tools and utilities for design, development, testing and management of web based applications
• Mentor junior developers and perform code reviews on their deliverables to ensure it is compliant with design and coding standards.
• Provide second-level support
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
LEVEL OF EDUCATION
• Completion of university or college program in related computer science discipline
JOB RELATED EXPERIENCE
• Minimum 6 years’ development experience in Java, J2EE and JSP
• Minimum 4 years’ MVC Framework experience, including Struts2, Spring MVC or similar
• Strong knowledge of XML, XSL, processing and parsing
• Strong understanding of HTML, CSS and browser compatibility issues
• Strong structured methodology experience
• Strong J2EE/OO Design pattern experience and experience implementing common design patterns
• Experience with web service design: SOAP Request and Response handling; Authentication; and Axis2, CXF
• Experience with financial and subscription management applications
• Demonstrated proficiency in defining and documenting system components and related interfaces
• Use of Unified Modeling Language (UML) to conceive a design
• Knowledge of web security standards and how to apply them.
SKILLS AND BACKGROUND
• Ability to deliver marginally to largely complex solutions with minimal supervision
• Solid organizational and planning skills
• Excellent time management skills with the ability to prioritize and multi-task as well as working under shifting deadlines in a fast paced environment.
• Excellent problem solving skills, willingness to take initiative and to follow through on projects
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal, written and presentation skills
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment
• SQL and common database knowledge (Oracle 10g)
• Basic UNIX experience
• Source code control systems: CVS, Git
• Build processes and Ant/Maven
• Experience with large scale, high volume web-based applications
• Experience with internalization
• HTMS, CSS, strong understanding of browser compatibility issues
This position is frequently called upon to convince, persuade, motivate or sell to others who typically have diverse and/or opposing viewpoints as well as to advise others on complex matters; requires extensive resourcefulness.