19-009 - Project Manager, Nuclear Fleet Improvement Projects
Number of Vacancies: 3
Level: Band H
Duration: 18 months
Location: 889 Brock Road, Pickering ON
These Project Manager positions involve managing projects in the Nuclear Strategic Portfolio in the focus areas for transformational change and improvements at OPG. These projects deal with a broad scope of functional areas across OPG Nuclear. Strategic Project Managers are expected to provide support for one or more of these projects.
1) These projects involve significant process, people, and culture changes that lead to efficiencies AS OPPOSED TO projects that involve plant modifications or construction.
2) The main functional areas for these projects are : Power Reactor Maintenance, Power Reactor Outages, Work Management, Outage Management, Supply Chain, Power Reactor Operations.
3) Candidates with experience in the above functional areas are of the most interest, particularly where there experience is with OPG.
Candidates must have significant work experience/background in Nuclear Power Plants as described above in addition to project management experience and capabilities, particularly as described below:
1. Provide leadership in management the project including project/initiative design, project planning and scheduleing, relationship mangement, cost schedule, optimization of project implementation.
2. Define project objectives, scope, estimates, schedules, work plans and all resource requirements.
3. Integrate the efforts of all persons contributing to a project, Coordinate and implement project technical work/solutions, and initiate the acquisition of appropriate approvals.
4. Prepare reports to provide information and data in response to requests. Initiate studies or investigations where opportunities for improvement are apparent. Collect, or arrange for collection, assembly and analysis of data associated with past events or operations. Prepare reports outlining technical details of procedure, processes, results, or conclusions and the roles played by internal and/or external groups, such may include delivery of presentations
5. Provide cost estimates and update costs of existing projects. Monitor actual project costs, and investigate and explain variances. Assist in the preparation of financial justification for the release of project funds.
NOTE : Candidates mainly with experience in engineering AND/OR mainly project management experience in “Design” and “Modifications” projects, AND or mainly with experience in non-nuclear AND/or non-OPG are very unlikely to have enough nuclear field knowledge to be fully effective and are not suitable.
This position requires sound knowledge of the principles, processes and management associated with nuclear generation facilities as well as business and project management.
6. a 4-year university degree in a relevant field
7. over 10 years of experience:
a) in the operation, maintenance, work management and outage aspects of a nuclear generating station, and
b) in the management of projects in these areas.
c) in strategic projects involving people, process and culture change.
8. Led a larger project team to demonstrate their knowledge and ability in project management principles and practices.
Must have demonstrated:
9. The ability to break down complex problems into manageable parts, and to develop alternative solutions as recommendations.
10. The ability to prioritize conflicting requirements to achieve results in a complex and evolving business environment.
11. The ability to lead a team and elicit the maximum contribution from all the members.
12. The ability to communicate effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization, and to convey complex matters in simple terms.
13. The ability to maintain high standards related to output quality against requirements, and to consistently require conformance by both staff and contractors.
14. A working knowledge of industry best practices in the subject area.
15. Ability to elicit satisfactory outputs from a team of peers and work collaboratively.
16. Certification as a Project Management Professional is considered to be an asset in this role.